If you own a business, chances are you have considered developing a mobile app. Before making the leap, read this blog. It could save you a ton of money.
Smartphones… we all have them (and some of us are on them more than we would like to admit)! The US adult spends an average of 3 hours and 8 minutes per day on their mobile device, excluding voice activities. Logically, some business owners might look at their target market’s cell phone usage and want to infiltrate the mobile space by creating an app. Reality may set in when you learn that the cost of developing a basic app averages around $25,000. Complex apps can easily cost six figures.
Before taking on this expense…
- Understand how the average adult uses apps. The average adult smartphone user has 36 apps installed on their devices, though only 26% of apps downloaded are used daily. Ideally, you’ll want your business’s app to make the cut in both categories, but at the least, you want to make it onto their phone. Because of limited memory and data on one’s smartphone, your app will needs to serve a purpose and add convenience to make the cut.
- Ask yourself if a mobile-friendly website will suffice. If the purpose of your app would be an easy place for individuals to seek information about your business, we recommend saving your money and optimizing your website for mobile. Sure, your business won’t sit on the home screen of your target market’s cell phones, but having an interactive mobile website will serve your marketing purpose without having to worry about app downloads. Consumers also first turn to their web browser to seek information instead of searching the app store.
- Conduct a feasibility survey. Take the guess work out of how and if your customers would use your app, and ask them! Reach out to clients or customers you believe to be “rock star customers,” as well as those who only buy your product or service every once and a while to get an unbiased opinion on the functionality of your app.
Take a look at your own smartphone. What apps have you downloaded from other businesses? Maybe you have your bank’s app for easy mobile banking, your pharmacy’s app for one-touch prescription refills or your favorite airline’s app for checking in to your flight on-the-go. People keep apps that makes life a little easier for them, and helps them to do something they would have to do anyways as a loyal customer for your business.
For example, if you are an online retailer, a mobile app that remembers your customer’s account credentials could make shopping on your online store easier with one-click check out. Offering features they can’t receive on your website, such as daily coupons or a virtual try-on feature will entice them to utilize your app more frequently.
If you want to still capture the eyeballs of those using apps, but can’t afford the large expense, consider purchasing digital advertising within an app. Through the Google Ad network, many popular apps allow third-party ads. Ads will be displayed on the apps in various way.
If you are interested in learning more about various mobile marketing options, contact TRIO today!
A little more about us:
TRIO is a full-service marketing communications company providing a wide array of integrated marketing services to meet all of your business and marketing needs. At TRIO, we understand that each client is unique; therefore we provide customized solutions based on your goals and growth objectives. All of our recommendations are made specifically for you and your business. TRIO Marketing, Branding and Advertising delivers an effective blend of creative talent and strategic thinking, delivering results that increase the bottom line of our client partners. We utilize our network of local experts in the community to execute the campaigns on the basis of design, printing and mailing.
Our Services include:
- Marketing, Branding, Public Relations and Advertising Consulting
- Strategic Annual Marketing Plan Development
- Integrated and Interactive Marketing Services including E-mail and SMS Marketing
- Promotional Products
- Media Negotiation, Placement & Spot Traffic Management Print Design & Production
- Web Development & Search Engine Optimization
- Direct Mail Services
- One-on-One Sales Team Development
At TRIO, we work hard to combine marketing talent and technology with outstanding customer service to build long-term partnerships with you and your business. Our strategies are delivered on time and in a cost-effective manner to achieve maximum response and grow your business.