Where’s My Iowa Refund?


You electronically filed your returns on or before April 15th and have received your federal refund weeks ago.  But still no Iowa refund.  Where is your Iowa refund?

I am still getting this question from clients.  If you electronically filed your return at least two business days ago and want to check the status of your refund, follow these steps:

  1. Go to Iowa Department of Revenue website: idr.iowa.gov
  2. Click on “Where’s My Refund?”
  3. Enter your social security number, tax year, and the amount of the refund that is on the Iowa return.
  4. After entering this information, you will be given the date the refund will be or was issued.
  • If the refund was issued more than a week ago, you need to check your bank account to see if it has been received.
  • If it has not been received, you will need to contact the Iowa Department of Revenue to report that your refund has not been received.

Why the delay?  The official word from the State of Iowa is that they have slowed up the refunds so they can do a more thorough job of searching for fraud and saving tax dollars that would get paid out in error.

If you haven’t filed your returns yet, keep in mind that the Iowa refunds are taking longer than in the past so the sooner you file, the sooner the refund.  Federal refunds are still being received in two to four weeks.

A couple of ways to get your refund quicker is to file electronically rather than on paper and to have your refund directly deposited into your bank account.

If you want to check on the status of your federal return, go to the IRS website at www.irs.gov and click on “Where’s my Refund”.  You need the same information as stated above for Iowa with the addition of knowing your filing status.  Did you file as single, married filing jointly, married filing separately, or head of household? Once you have your info, you can enter it and find out the status of the refund.  If there is an issue, the IRS will give you information to follow up on the problem.

Or you can contact your tax preparer and ask them to follow up.  We are always happy to help our clients.  However, now that you know our secret way of finding out, you can get the answer as quickly as we can.  If you have any issues after you follow that process, contact your tax preparer and get their valuable input.



Kathi Koenig, CPA
Partner – McGowen, Hurst, Clark & Smith, P.C.
p. 515.288.3279
e. kkoenig@mhcscpa.com


A little more about us:
Located in West Des Moines, Iowa with a branch office in Winterset, Iowa, McGowen, Hurst, Clark & Smith, P.C. celebrates 65 years of extending excellent service to our clients, providing them with accounting, auditing, consulting and investment expertise.

Established in 1946, our staff has grown from 3 to 60 employees, making us large enough to provide our clients with a broad base of experience and resources, yet small enough to offer very personalized service—which we feel makes us stand apart from other CPA firms. In addition to the traditional services of Accounting, Tax Preparation, Audit and Business Consulting, MHC&S offers our clients specialized services including Estate Planning, Business Valuations, Cost Segregation Studies, Retirement Planning, QuickBooks Training, Financial Advisory Services, Fraud Detection and Deterrence, Business Succession Planning, Litigation Support and more.

MHC&S is a member of CPAmerica International, Inc., a national association of accounting firms offering membership to only 90 firms throughout the United States. This association offers a wide pool of additional technical expertise to the members firms, as well as continuing professional education necessary to maintain the degree of excellence which MHC&S feels is vital in today’s business environment.

For more information about our firm, please visit our website or check us out on Facebook.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *