With the New Year approaching are you preparing your list of those infamous New Year’s Resolutions? Maybe to eat healthier, be more organized, get control of your finances? If getting your financial house in order is on your list for the New Year, here are some ideas to help you get started:
- Know what you want. Set a clear and concise financial goal for the year.
- Prioritize your debts. The liabilities with the highest interest rate (most likely a credit card) should be paid off first.
- Enroll in an automatic savings plan. Through a savings or brokerage account you can have deposits deducted right from your paycheck.
- Collect your change after a purchase. Find an empty water jug or coffee can and throw the money in!! Let it grow and use it to pay down debt, invest it or go on vacation!
- Begin using personal financial software like Quicken or Mint.com to get things organized.
- Read a financial book or magazine every month. We do this to find a new recipe or to learn how to fix an engine….why not our finances?
Finally, be cautious about setting too many goals and make sure they are realistic. Applying even just one of these ideas in the New Year will lead you to the path of financial freedom. Happy Holidays!!!
A little more about us:
Compass Financial is an independent, fee-based financial advisory firm in West Des Moines, Iowa. The Compass Team helps individuals and families develop an inspiring vision of their financial future and a realistic strategy.
By listening closely to our clients’ true needs, wants, hopes, desires and dreams we are able to combine Wealth Management and broad Financial Planning customized to each individual situation. It’s our goal to assist you in developing a personalized financial road map. The results from the process should include confidence that comes from planning. As we all know, life happens, sometimes ambushing the best laid plans. Accepting a new reality and adapting the financial plan is work we have done many times for our clients.
We also offer Financial Check Up or Second Opinion Services to those who want to enhance the service they are already receiving. This should lead to a better understanding of your current plans and give added confidence to your existing advisor relationship.
Sometimes life’s biggest challenges come in the form of transitions, retirement, marriage, health issues, divorce, unexpected loss, or even college savings. Our team at Compass has experienced many of these life transitions, it’s our hope to come alongside you and your family. These defining moments of life provide opportunities to implement financial strategies that can have long lasting impact. The first step is always the most difficult, but can also be the most rewarding. Please Contact Us today to receive your free, no obligation, one hour initial consultation!