Better Late Than Never


Oops, I didn’t do any tax planning and 2018 is gone! Before you give up entirely, here are a few ideas that you can still do that might help your 2018 tax situation.

  1. Contribute to your IRA

    You have until April 15th to make your IRA contribution. The maximum contribution is $5,500 per person and if you are over the age of 50, you can add an additional $1,000. After you decide if you want to make a traditional IRA contribution or a ROTH IRA contribution, review the qualifications to be sure you are eligible to make the contribution and if it is tax deductible for you. If you have business income, you are also able to set up a Simplified Employee Plan (SEP) which might allow you to contribute more to your retirement account.


  1. Contribute to Your Health Saving Plan

    You also have until April 15th to make your HSA contribution, but the plan has to have been set up before the end of the year. The maximum contribution is $3,450 for self only or $6,900 if family coverage.  There is an additional $1,000 contribution allowed for those over 55 years of age.


  1. Contribute to College Savings Iowa Accounts

    You have until the due date of the Iowa return which is April 30, 2019 to make a contribution and still take the deduction on your 2018 Iowa tax return. The maximum contribution is $3,319 per beneficiary account. So, if you have 2 children and both you and your husband want to contribute the maximum to each, you would have a tax deduction on Iowa of $13,276! What a boost to your kid’s college savings!


  1. Get Organized

    By organizing your documents, you can make sure you have included all the business and tax deductions that are allowed. Be sure to look at all banking accounts as well as credit card statements to make sure you are including all items. Did you know that you can deduct credit card expenses even if you have not paid the credit card bill before the end of the year?  Also, don’t forget your mileage log. If you do this now, instead of waiting until April, you will be more likely to pick up more expenses.


  1. Ask Questions

    If you have any doubts about what is deductible, ask your tax advisor so that all deductible items are included. If your tax advisor sends out a list of questions with your tax organizer, be sure to read through them to see what questions you apply to your situation.

These are just a few ideas that might still help you. And remember it’s “Better Late Than Never!”



Kathi Koenig, CPA
Partner – McGowen Hurst Clark Smith
p. 515.288.3279


A little more about us:
Located in West Des Moines, Iowa with a branch office in Winterset, Iowa, McGowen Hurst Clark Smith (MHCS) celebrates 70 years of extending excellent service to our clients, providing them with accounting, auditing, consulting and financial planning expertise.

Established in 1946, our staff has grown from 3 to 60 employees, making us large enough to provide our clients with a broad base of experience and resources, yet small enough to offer very personalized service—which we feel makes us stand apart from other CPA firms. In addition to the traditional services of Accounting, Tax Preparation, Audit and Business Consulting, MHC&S offers our clients specialized services including Estate Planning, Business Valuations, Cost Segregation Studies, Retirement Planning, QuickBooks Training, Financial Advisory Services, Fraud Detection and Deterrence, Business Succession Planning, Litigation Support and more.

MHCS is a member of CPAmerica International, Inc., a national association of accounting firms offering membership to only 90 firms throughout the United States. This association offers a wide pool of additional technical expertise to the members firms, as well as continuing professional education necessary to maintain the degree of excellence which MHCS feels is vital in today’s business environment.

For more information about our firm, please visit our website or check us out on Facebook.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *