Medicare Supplement Plan F—Is it Really “Going Away”?

Share

Medicare Supplement Plan F is one of the most popular supplement plans on the market—and has been for decades. Seniors looking to avoid out-of-pocket costs, including the Part B deductible and excess charges often turn to Plan F for benefits on day one. But if Plan F is so popular, why is it being phased out in 2020?Doctors who provide Medicare services expect to be compensated. However, Medicare legislation included budget cuts that negatively impacted doctors—and they weren’t happy. While the cuts were stalled for years, the debate reached a tipping point when many doctors suggested they might stop providing services altogether.

In response, Congress passed the Medicare Access and CHIP Re-authorization Act of 2015 (MACRA)—a fancy name for a law that changed the way Medicare doctors are reimbursed. While lawmakers thought they created a solution, they actually created a new problem: where would they get the funds to make up for the loss? Congress knew they could find some of this money by ending all Medigap plans that provided coverage for deductibles. Beneficiaries of Original Medicare (Part A and Part B) pay a deductible ($185 in 2019) before any services can be received, why shouldn’t Medigap require the same?

Medigap Plan F has always been popular with seniors because it offers coverage from day one without any out-of-pocket costs (also known as first dollar coverage). In other words, Medicare pays 80 percent of covered services and Plan F pays the remaining 20 percent and the Part B deductible.

Anytime Medicare makes changes, it can be complicated. But, there is some good news: if you already have Medigap Plan F, you will not lose your coverage in 2020. In fact, you will be “grandfathered”, and can keep your plan for as long as you like. The phase out is directed at new enrollees only.

In Summary:

If you are already enrolled in Plan F, in 2020

  • You will not be kicked off your plan.
  • You can still buy coverage from another provider.

If you are not enrolled in Plan F, in 2020

  • You will not be able to join as a new enrollee

If you are eligible for Medicare before 2020, but delay enrollment because of employer coverage

  • You can join Plan F when you retire or when you lose employee provided coverage.

 

Reference: https://www.ssiinsure.com/medicare-supplement-plan-f-phased-2020/

 

Janis_2016

Janis VanAhn
Health Insurance Advisor, LLC
INTEGRITY + EXPERIENCE + SERVICE = SOLUTIONS
p. 515.225.9994
e. jvanahn@health-insadvisor.com

linkedIn

A little more about us:
The Business Warrior group has some of the industry’s top experts in all the areas your business needs to be successful. Amongst the contributors is Janis VanAhn, owner of Health Insurance Advisor, LLC. For 19 years Janis has worked in and around the health insurance industry initially providing service to agents and employers related to employee benefits, individual healthcare and Medicare, while more recently becoming appointed as an individual agent with various quality carriers to provide this service to individuals through her own business.

Four years ago Janis was ‘blessed’ with being let go from her job at an insurance ageny. Staying within insurance was her path…but in what capacity. 2010 was the year Janis began her career as an independent insurance agent specializing in health insurance. Finding quality, cost-effective healthcare for individuals and families under age 65 as well as working with those who are Medicare eligible truly was her passion. She has made this a true specialty and positioned herself as someone to work with whether it is a financial professional or property & casualty agent with a client that needs assistance, to a group of seniors turning 65 and they keep receiving Medicare information and are confused about what to do.

Janis enjoys the one on one contact with clients as well as looking forward to speaking to groups about healthcare. Her excitement for this industry is what drives her to stay in tune with Healthcare Reform and what is currently happening and what will happen with coverage from now to past 2014.

‘Educating individual and Medicare consumers to make informed choices’ is her mission because if people are educated and understand, they will make informed choices that they are comfortable with.

Get to know Health Insurance Advisor, LLC and Janis Van Ahn by visiting the website, or contact her with your questions to find a solution.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *