This is the first of a blog series to train you, how to get your bookkeeping in shape and keep it in shape. Don’t wait, click now to get started.
No matter the size of your business, it is unimaginable how it would properly function without a solid bookkeeping system in place. It serves a great purpose for tax preparation, which most of you just spent the last 6-8 weeks confirming. Also gives a concrete indication of your company’s success and sustainability. But to maintain your books, keeping them accurate, timely and reliable is one of the biggest challenges. After all, you got in to business to sell a product or provide a service, not to do bookkeeping. Let’s get it shape and keep it that way.
- Keep your bookkeeping and records organized. One of the most important bookkeeping tips for small businesses is to stay organized during the entire year so you are not scrambling come tax time.
- Gather up and organize receipts and other required documentation, such as mileage logs.
- Gather documentation for large depreciative items, such as furniture and equipment purchases.
- Verify you have accurate information for all 1099 recipients.
- Reconcile your checking, credit card, loans, etc., each month. Balance your account 2-3 times per month to be better prepared to reconcile when the statement is available.
- Keep Your Personal Finances Separate. You should keep your personal finances entirely separate from your business finances.
- Don’t use your business accounts as an ATM. Avoid frustration and mis-categorization, set-up a separate bank account for your company.
- Pay yourself SOMETHING each week, even the smallest amount and make it a habit, a good habit. Justifying running personal expenses through your business checking or credit card can get out of hand very quickly and that is a rabbit hole you don’t want to go down.
- Keep it in the Cloud!
- Cloud Accounting and bookkeeping software bring real time reporting to small business owners. QuickBooks is an amazing product, with many certified apps and integrations to meet your business financial needs. This budget-friendly software, automates much of the bookkeeping function, however, does not replace the need for an expert’s guidance. Garbage in = Garbage out = Waste Time = Loss of Profit
- Dropbox is another great product for online storage. They have a free option that will workfor many people with minimal storage needs. As your business grows, there are very affordable options to keep your documents safe and accessible.
As we go through life, we change what we do to stay in shape, get in shape or reshape our lives in many ways. Workout routines, diets, habits, relationships, and on and on. Your bookkeeping process is similar. As your business grows, your bookkeeping needs change and need to be in the shape it takes to support those needs and changes. If you follow my series, you will soon be in tip top shape, ready for changes and growth. You will be ready for a tax planning session in the 4th quarter, making you even more prepared for tax time when it rolls around again. See you next month!
A little more about us:
We guide, assist and manage your bookkeeping operations, customizing our service to fit within your needs, budget and timeframe.
Providing daily, weekly, monthly or occasional BOOKKEEPING SERVICES. We assist to the degree that meets your needs and your budget. We provide you with a clear picture of your finances.
- Handling A/P and A/R entries, monthly financial reports, yearly audit assistance, state banking regulation audits, payroll processing, sales tax filing, and developing and implementing work-flow systems to ensure documentation requirements are accurate and complete.
- Creating the foundation for a cost-effective accounting system for NEW BUSINESSES, and those working to get more established, then providing customized, agreed-upon bookkeeping services contracting with clients for a clear understanding of the services to be provided.
- SCRUTINIZING existing financials to determine more timely, accurate and EFFICIENT bookkeeping options.
- Training of bookkeeping personnel in QUICKBOOKS as a Certified ProAdvisor.
Examining financials to provide DECISION-MAKING INFORMATION regarding financial department personnel needs, resources and timing for product and service expansion, financial strategies for real estate or asset purchases, etc.
MANAGING your books in a way that allows YOU to do what YOU DO BEST, sell your product or provide your services, while staying as involved in the bookkeeping as needed for proper management of your financials.
CONSULTING on-call for client financial questions.
OrganizerForU offers a 20- to 30-minute complementary phone consultation. We value your time and we know that time efficiency is cost effective. During our call, we listen as you describe the current financial situation of your business, asking the right questions to determine how our services can meet your needs. We take time to briefly explain how our services are provided, to ensure we are a good fit for your needs and situation.