We hear all kinds of tips and tricks for employee self-care during this time of upheaval but don’t forget your own self-care must come first as a leader and employer. Taking care of yourself will contribute to being the strongest leader possible and leading by example. TOP SUGGESTIONS
- Take PTO. It is a company benefit that needs to be used without feeling guilty. Research confirms it: taking a break can lead to better sleep, lower blood pressure, improved reaction time and even a longer life expectancy.
- Talk to people you trust. It is normal to feel sad, stressed, confused, scared or angry during a crisis. Contact your friends and family.
- Avoid risky or destructive behaviors, such as abusing alcohol or drugs, excessive gambling or ignoring public health recommendations to deal with your emotions. If you feel overwhelmed, talk to a healthcare provider or counselor. Does your company offer an Employee Assistance Plan? If so…..use it and have a plan, where to go to and how to seek help if needed.
- Consume reliable news sources that report facts. Avoid media that sensationalizes emotions. Limit your exposure or take a break from news and social media if you find that it makes you anxious. Get pandemic-related news from reliable sources, such as the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, trusted universities, WHO website or, a local or state public health agency.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle. Including proper diet, sleep, exercise and social contacts with loved ones at home and by email and phone with other family and friends. Spend time outside.
- Set and maintain a routine at home. Listen to music or read books. Focus your thoughts on the present and things to be grateful for today. Lean on your personal beliefs and faith for support.
- Focus on things you can control. Draw on skills you have used in the past that have helped you to manage previous life’s adversities and use those skills to help you manage your emotions during the challenging time of this outbreak.
- Look for ways to help your community. Examples could be blood donations, checking on older people in your neighborhood, or donating supplies or money to local organizations. Acknowledge and appreciate what others are doing to help you and your community.
SYMPTOMS TO WATCH FOR
If any of these things become persistent or interfere with daily functioning and are outside the norm for the COVID-19 pandemic, contact your healthcare provider for help and guidance:
- Trouble focusing on daily activities
- Anxiety that turns into feelings of being out of control
- Strong feelings that interfere with daily activities
- Having emotions that become difficult to manage
- Feelings of hopelessness or helplessness
Check in with yourself and work on being intentional on a daily basis. It’s so important to maintain your ‘best’ self for your family and then you can present your ‘best’ self professionally as well.
Please know my Business Warrior colleagues and I are here to help you and your business continue to survive and thrive in the new year. We encourage you to reach out to us with questions and concerns, as we are here to assist you in any way we can. On behalf of the Business Warriors, this is the last newsletter you will be receiving from the Business Warriors Group. While we will continue with our respective businesses, you will be hearing from us via our own individual platforms. I wish you continued success and the very best as 2021 moves forward. Please stay well and stay connected with HR On-Call, LLC for any of your human resource needs. Be well and stay safe!
A little more about us: Susan Arnold, owner and lead HR Consultant at HR On-Call, LLC. Susan has 20+ years of HR experience and provides a HR presence to business organizations without the overhead expense of a full-time employee. Susan helps business owners improve employer/employee relationships and allows them to focus on their business while resting assured that they are in full compliance with state and federal law. Areas of expertise:
- Reduce Employer Risk and Liability
- Customized Employee Handbooks
- Performance Reviews
- Improve Employee/Employer Relationships
- Background Checks
- Personality Assessments
- Guaranteed EEO Compliance
- Employee Retention
- Recruitment / Hiring
- Employee Discipline/Discharge
Susan is passionate about her customers and listens to their needs. If you are interested in any of the details above or would like more information about her services, please contact Susan! If you have questions on how your specific policy should read or need help navigating a certain instance, contact HR On-Call, LLC.